Hi style dolls,
There is no question about it, fashion design is a hot and profitable industry. And sewing is the bedrock of this mega industry.
So I get asked a lot, “What tools do I need to get started with sewing?”
The truth is: You don’t need much.
- Iron and ironing board
- A notebook
- Tape measure
- Small pair of sharp scissors and Large pair of fabric scissors
- Rulers (a straight ruler, a long one and a french curve)
- Razor blade or seam ripper
- Hand sewing needles
- Tailor’s chalk or fabric marker
- Threads in different colours to match your fabrics
- Sewing machine
Check the video below to know why you need these items
Another question I get asked often is: “Can I start without a sewing machine?”
Of course you can! You can start sewing with just hand sewing needles. The downside is that your sewing will be a lot slower. But if you are patient and passionate about transforming designs into OOTDs, then you can definitely start with a hand needle and graduate to a sewing machine when you have saved up for it.
Got a question? Drop it in the comments below. I answer every question and will help you with clear, precise answers 🙂